I think I will blog about moments...

Sunday, November 8, 2009

a moment of hope

It's Sunday afternoon and I'm reading the little short bio under the "About Me" section of my blog.  I'm trying to decide if I want to change it or not because it has said the same thing since I started this blog in July of '08.  It begins like this: I Love Wanda : ) We share 5 children (3 married) and 5 grandchildren.  Wait a minute...what does that say?  Five grandchildren?  We have six grandchildren.  O MY GOSH, I'VE FORGOTTEN A GRANDCHILD!  Wait, maybe there has been one born since I wrote that...no, we don't have any that are less than 16 months old (age of the blog). 

Then it hit me.  We got a new grandchild during that nine month period of 2009 when I couldn't find any moments worth writing about (see previous blog post).  Wanda's son Brian and his wife Debbie live in Salt Lake City, Utah.  Our oldest grandson - Blake, age 7 - belongs to them.  In 2004 Brian and Debbie began the process to adopt a little girl out of China.  It was supposed to take about a year and a half.  Her name would be Hope.  We couldn't wait to meet her.

Five years later I didn't have any hope for them.  I didn't think it was ever going to happen.  I thought they had been scammed out of a lot of money and would never have the little girl that they wanted.  But, the call finally came and in June of this year they traveled to China to meet Hope and to bring her home.  Hope was found abandoned when she was one day old and had lived her entire life in an orphanage.  Brian and Debbie were told that she was five, but the folks working with her believe that she is at least six.   

This is Hope, grandbaby number six.   


Wanda was able to travel to Salt Lake this summer to meet her but my schedule did not allow me to go.  I can hardly wait for the moment that I get to meet Hope. 

3 comments:

Tre' said...

What a great story and congrats on that beautiful grandchild. In fact what an amazing smile Hope has it and such a fitting name for her.

Congrats once again.

Tre'

KV said...

She is so beautiful! Congrats! (And I agree with Tre'- what a PERFECT name for such a special little girl!)
KV

Anonymous said...

I love that she is riding a skateboard...she looks like a firecracker. Congratulations and I "hope" you get to meet her soon!