I think I will blog about moments...

Thursday, August 7, 2008

"the one" moment

I have been kicking these thoughts around in my head for a couple of days and finally decided to sit down and type. I think too long sometimes instead of just acting. How can I blog about moments if my moments turn into...well, many moments. But, I guess that's what life is, just a bunch of moments strung together.

I watched a clip on my son Weston's blog. To see it go here: http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/kevin_kelly_on_the_next_5_000_days_of_the_web.html.

What Mr. Kelly is telling us in this video it that the web as we know it did not exist 5,000 days ago and he talks about what to expect the web to become in the next 5,000 days. At about the 16:30 point of the video he compares the technology of "the machine" or "the one" (the web) to the technology of the alphabet and writing. He says, "We are totally dependant on the alphabet and writing, it has transformed culture. We can't imagine ourselves without the technology of the alphabet and writing." He then says that is the way we will be with "the one" (the web) in the next 5,000 days; we won't be able to function without it. It will change the world the way the alphabet and writing has changed the world.

That's quite a statement. Where would we be without language? How much has the ability to communicate with each other changed the world? To say that "the one" will be to us what the alphabet and writing has been to us is a tremendous statement.

The things that he said that really caught my attention were ...we are totally dependant on it...it has transformed culture...we can't imagine ourselves without it.

My question to those who belong to Jesus and seek to spread the gospel of Jesus Christ is; how are we going to use "the one" to do what we have been called to do? How are we going to use this world changing technology to point to "THE ONE?" Not to just point to Jesus but to get to the point that...we are totally dependant on HIM...HE has transformed culture...and we can't imagine ourselves without HIM.

My daughter-in-law, Francey, said in her blog, "I imagine my children being older and getting a grasp on the grace of our sovereign God and saying, 'I can't live without Him.'"

In 5,000 days Hannah and Corban will be 16 and 15 years old respectively.

When that time comes, who or what will we be totally dependant on? Who or what will have transformed our culture? Who or what will we not be able to live without? I pray it is "THE ONE" not "the one."

2 comments:

Weston said...

Amen. Well said. May we be dependent on Christ alone! May the gospel transform our culture far beyond any technology! He is our only hope! Looking forward with you to the day when every knee will bow and "every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father" (Philippians 2:10-11).

Anonymous said...

YES! Very well said!!!